Your doctor will get detailed information about your symptoms and history of your current and past ailments. He will perform a thorough physical examination. Certain diagnostic tests such as blood tests or imaging tests may be ordered to confirm your disease. After reviewing these results, your doctor will recommend the appropriate treatment.
It’s not uncommon to have questions or doubts, which we will encourage you to clarify before you leave the clinic. Your doctor will take time to explain your options for treatment and our staff will go through the details of costs and logistics with you. Our aim is to provide you with all the information that you would need to make informed decisions about managing your health. If you still have questions when you leave the office, please do not hesitate to contact us – we are here to help.
Following your initial consultation, your doctor will order specific diagnostic tests that will help confirm your condition. These may include:
- X-ray of the spine: X-ray helps to locate the site where the vertebra is broken.
- CT and MRI scan: These are done to confirm that there is no nerve injury.
- Bone scan: Bone scan helps to estimate the age of fracture. If a bone scan shows older fractures that have healed, it indicates the possibility of osteoporosis.
- Neurological examination: It involves checking for reflexes, muscle strength, and sensory perception. Any abnormality indicates damage to the nerves.
The results from these diagnostic tests will help your doctor design an effective treatment plan that will offer the best outcomes.
An initial consultation with Dr Michael requires a current referral. Referrals from a General Practitioner are valid for twelve months, and Specialist referrals are valid for three months. At the initial consultation, Dr Michael will briefly cover your medical history and assess your condition. An extended period is allocated for the initial consultation and therefore a higher fee is charged.
Procedure / Non-Procedure
Surgery of the spine is considered in case your symptoms do not alleviate with the conservative treatment measures. The treatment depends on the type and severity of your condition. All attempts will be made to perform the surgery using minimally invasive techniques and ensure minimum damage to the surrounding tissues.
We offer minimally invasive surgery and non-surgical treatment plans such as physiotherapy and pain management.
Post Op / Follow Up Protocol
You may need to return for follow-up consultations after your initial consultation. This may be required for Dr Michael to review test results, carry out further investigations and for ongoing monitoring of your condition. Usually a lesser time is allocated for these appointments. A time-based fee is applicable for follow-up consultations.
- Routine 6-week post-operative review appointment.
- May require scans – x-rays/MRIs etc.
- Ongoing 3/6/12 monthly reviews for monitoring